Thursday, July 19, 2012

12 days!!

There has been a persistent sand storm in the camp for 3 days now...and as a result, everything is covered in a thin sheet of dust. I am really starting to notice it when I work out; my lungs ache and burn from the debris gathered deep inside. I also have been noticing now more than ever the weariness amongst the group I work directly with...finding an infuriated Marine staring off into the distance, on the verge of a mental break...listening to a Special Forces Soldier talking about casualties on the battle field. The mental and emotional scars of this place far exceed the physical damage...and I wonder why we're here.

I wonder what kind of damage I've taken along my journey, and how it will present itself when I get home. Speaking of...

12 days until my flight lands in the fresh air of Minnesota!! My fears are quickly being replaced with pure elation, and I am eager to be able to relax while enjoying:

tubing down the river.
skydiving.
fishing.
putting my feet in the lake at the cabin.
a vacation to Colorado Springs.
coffee shops with company.
playing guitar and sitting around a bonfire.
the presence of the people who have lended me their strength during the most trying time in my life.
simplicity.

And I've been getting involved in some events around the camp, salsa dancing and Insanity included!! It makes the days pass by more quickly and gives me other things to focus on than my current condition. I've learned that pain never really goes away...time just gives us a means to cope. Strength is simply the willingness to face reality, respect the facts and truth, and accept that which is, is.


Life is good. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment